Sunday 6 February 2011

The Indecision 2011 - Part III

Here are the links to Part I and Part II just in case you missed it.

In the U.S. and around the world, most fans generally like one of the big teams: Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Arsenal.  Since I've been in London, I've had the privilege to work with some great people at Matchbox Magazine and Equipio. I've asked everyone about the team they support.  It's been very refreshing to meet fans of some of the smaller clubs like Aston Villa, Wolverhampton, Sunderland, Middlesborough and Reading.  It's a nice change to talk football with someone that's not a fan of one of the Big 4 which brings me to the 4th team to be eliminated from my list.

4. Manchester United -- The most popular football team in the world and the favorite team for most of my football friends back in New York.  The club has everything.  They have a great history, tradition, manager, team, and fan base.  They are always on tv back in the States so following them would not be hard.  The majority of the games that I watch at Nevada Smith's (The famous soccer pub) in New York are Manchester United games.  I made the pilgrimage up to Old Trafford to see Manchester United play Aston Villa.  Tons of fans showed up early to see the stadium and we were treated to a nice game with Wayne Rooney scoring 2 goals.  In many ways, this team resembles the type of team that I liked in Chelsea a couple of years ago.  They have a bunch of guys I like,  a good striker in Rooney, good defenders in Ferdinand and Vidic, and solid all around players in Park and Hernandez.



The day after the match, I was able to check out the museum and take the tour of Old Trafford.  It was definitely a great experience and I would recommend it to any football fan.

So what's the problem?  Why are they eliminated here?

If I was born into this team, like my friend's son Alex, as his father will pass all of his Manchester United jerseys down to him, I wouldn't have a problem with liking Manchester United.  However, to actually go through the process of picking a team and then pick the best team out there?  I just can't do it.

Before the game against Aston Villa, I was walking around Old Trafford and I called up my buddy in New York to tell him what the entire scene reminded me of.  Those of you who follow sports like I do know where I'm going with this.  Walking around Old Trafford, seeing all the fans, taking in the atmosphere and the vibe in the air felt like I was at a Yankees game.  I know it's great to like a team that wins all the time but you know what's even greater than that?  When the team that wins all the time loses.  Manchester United....you were great to me but I can't root for you.   


*As I was typing this, one of the members on my panel of experts emailed me back with a very impressive and lengthy analysis on what team I should pick.  He told me to pick Tottenham (just like everyone else) and to not pick Manchester United (his team).

His reason for me to not pick Manchester United: "You want to avoid looking like a glory hunting wank of the highest order."  Done and done.  Thank you Rory D.   Rory was also very adamant about not supporting the next team, and to his credit, everything he said was right.  That team is.....

3. Arsenal -- I'll admit it, I was really attracted to this team right when we got to London.  When they're playing well, their style of play is great and they always have really good young players year in year out.  Samir Nasri is just about to wrestle my Favorite Player Title away from Drogba.  I think I watch his Youtube videos 4-5 times a week.  If I could form a starting 11 of my current favorite players in the Premier League, it would look like this:



Forwards - Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Mario Balotelli, Asamoah Gyan, Carlos Tevez
Midfielders - Samir Nasri, Gareth Bale, Clint Dempsey, Ji-Sung Park
Defenders - Nemanja Vidic
GK - If the Premier League allowed me to play with a rush keeper, I would.  For now I'll pick Tim Howard.

(Yes, I'm quite aware that my dream team has 5 forwards but it's my dream team so I'll play a 1-4-5 if I want to.)  

As much as I like Nasri, I can't fall into the same trap here in liking a team for one player.  It also doesn't bode well for Arsenal that as much as I like Nasri, every time I see Fabregas I want to eye gouge him until he drops. 

If I could form a starting 11 of all the players I currently hate right now, it would look like this

Forwards - Fabregas, Fabregas, Van Persie
Midfielders - Fabregas, Nani, Nani
Defenders - Fabregas, Nani, Fabregas, Nani
GK - Mario Materazzi.  I couldn't think of a goalkeeper that I hate so I would import Materazzi in from Italy to get drilled by my team of heroes.

So if you're keeping score, I really don't like Fabregas and Van Persie for Arsenal or Nani for Manchester United.  Quite fitting that these guys and teams got eliminated together in Part III of The Indecision.  



One final point about Arsenal.  The snood.  I'm 100% against the snood.  What's next?  Earmuffs?  My college coach didn't want us wearing gloves or a t-shirt under our jersey and we once played a game in the snow at a school called "Frostburg State University."

Arsenal's manager, Arsène Wenger insists his players only wear the neck-warmers to help with injury prevention.

You know what also helps with injury prevention?  Growing a sack.  Take the snood off.  It's football.


Two teams left.  Who will it be?

Here's Part IV

No comments:

Post a Comment