Saturday 5 February 2011

The Indecision 2011 - Part II

Here's the link to Part I of The Indecision 2011 if you missed it.

During our time here in London, I've been lucky enough to meet up with a good group of guys that have been playing footy together every Thursday for years, the Old Street Old Boys.  They have really been a big part of my experience here in London - with our weekly games and trips to the pub.  I remember the first time I went to play with them, after the game I went to the pub with 4 of the regular members.  (Dan C., Samad M., Pat OB, & George Y.)



So as we got to know each other, George and Pat started interrogating me and asked me if I had picked a football team yet.  I told them what I had told everyone else and here was the exchange:

Me: I don't really have a favorite team.  I like certain players.  If I had to pick one, the one team that I've liked the last couple of years is.....Chelsea....because Drogba is my favorite player.  But I hope to pick a team to really support while I'm here.
George & Pat: (silence)
Me: (looking to break the silence)......well.....as long as I don't pick Man United, right?
George & Pat: No, as long as you don't pick TOTTENHAM
Me: Oh....ok....what team do you guys like?  (Like I even needed to ask)
George & Pat: (clearly disgusted with their first encounter with me) Arsenal

The rest of the night was a blur.  I think George may have whispered to Pat that he wanted to grab his shiv and shank me in the back of the pub and leave me for dead but I had bigger things to worry about.  I had to pick my team.  I mean.....I thought I was safe just as long as I didn't support Manchester United.  Who knew?

So without further ado, in Part II of The Indecision 2011, I will eliminate three teams in reverse order.  Starting with....

7. Tottenham -- Crazy isn't it?  I've asked a number of people for their opinion on picking a football team.  The number of people that said I should pick Tottenham as my team slightly outnumbered the number of people who said I shouldn't pick Manchester United as my team.

Let's look at all the reasons that I should pick them:
  • Good club
  • Entertaining footy
  • Rising star in Gareth Bale
  • Great manager in Harry Redknapp
  • Rising team that will challenge the top four
Let's look at all the reasons that I shouldn't pick them:
  • I just don't like them
  • George would shank me with his shiv
At the end of the day, I just didn't really like this team that much.  I know they will contend for years to come but maybe it was everyone telling me that I should pick them, or maybe it was the initial attraction to Arsenal, but it just didn't feel right picking them.  When you look at all the reasons above on why I should pick Tottenham, it's obviously the smartest and most logical team to pick at this point.  However, when have I ever done something that was smart and logical when I can just overanalyze everything in a four part blog, (That's right! Four parts!!) waste my friends time and do what makes me feel happy?

6. West Ham -- I couldn't really find a reason to like or follow this team while we've been here.  They've been at the bottom of the table for the majority of our stay in London.  There are two main reasons I'm not picking them as my team.



A) Green Street Hooligans -- Look....I know it's just a movie.  Trust me, I know the difference between Hollywood and real life especially in a movie where Elijah Wood suddenly turns into a prolific street fighting boxer.  I also didn't like the fact that he got a West Ham tattoo in the middle of the movie.  Really?  That soon?  It's taken me about five months to choose a team and he's getting one tattooed on his chest?  It's pretty unfair but I'll always think of this movie when I see this team and its fans.  That's what movies do.  So I can't support this team.  It's not really fair or mature but hey....neither am I.  

B) With my luck, if I ever decided to support this team it would probably be the same day that I would meet someone from Millwall (West Ham's rival). 

5. Queens Park Rangers -- The current leader in the Championship League and on their way to the Premier League next year.  I tried to attend one of their games but the only day that I could possibly attend is the day after I'm attending the England - Italy rugby match.  My liver probably won't make it through that weekend so I had to pass on attending that QPR game.
This will also give me more time to work on "The Indecision 2012 - Picking a Rugby Team."

Back to QPR - I don't really know much about this team but I had to add them to the list because they were a London team.  I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking "why even waste your time and add them to the list if you knew they really had no shot?"  Well for two reasons:

A) I wanted to show how much I didn't want to pick Tottenham or West Ham by putting a team ahead of them that I've never seen play.

B) If Toy Story 3 can get nominated for a Best Picture award....I'm allowed to include QPR on my list of teams.....so there.



Here's....Part III

1 comment:

  1. Very Good Kent - I have to say that It's taken me 15 years to pick a team, given that I didn't grow up in the UK and only got here in 1995. George and Pat are very chuffed that it's Arsenal though - I've always had a soft spot for them - great games, great skills, suave manager, proper historic London club, their fans are not so cocky as Chelsea - and most important, they are massive underachievers - like any good Englishman!!

    ReplyDelete